Kanaka wall on the escarpment
The South Sea Islanders used surface rocks to build drystone walls and create terraces for growing food and other crops. This dry stone wall is near a large fig below St Marks church.
The bush-covered escarpment at the rear of the BWMCA hall, Craft Cottage and St Marks is an undeveloped road reserve named Stone Street. It is a street in name only and ahs never been developed. It retains rock formations and native vegetation that ahs been removed in many other areas of the escarpment. Stone Street was nominated ofr the Sunshine Caost Council’s heritage schedule in 2012 because of its remnant bushland, rock formations and its association with the South Sea Islander and Aborignal camp.
Terry Eggmolesse visited the South Sea Islanders in Buderim in the 1940s. He recalls that not far from the present St Marks church
“ down the southern rocky slopes, was a small home built into a recess among the rocks. Apparently, this was the home for a number of islanders, in the early days, including the islander Jack Tanna. Tom Forsella, a Malaita man, took possession of the home, after his marriage in 1923 and lived there, until his death in 1943. His wife May (white lady) had passed away about 11 years before. His son Kingsley, born in 1930 went to the Buderim School.”