Buderim Mountain State School pupils
Buderim Mountain State School started in 1875 on land donated by William Pettigrew, now the east corner of Mooloolaba Road and Panorama Crescent. It was the first school in what is now the Sunshine Coast.
Tina Low enrolled in 1883, eight years after the school started, and only four and a half years after South Sea Islanders first came to Buderim in 1877.
In 1887 a new school was built in what became the centre of Buderim. In the 1880s and 90s many South Sea Islander men married Aboriginal women, and by the late 1890s their children were attending the Buderim school.