Site of Kanaka school
School for the South Sea Islander/Aboriginal community
In 1895 Joseph Dixon built a school for the South Sea Islander/Aboriginal community in Lantana Lane, now Mill Road. it was at the edge of the mill land, so if the mill was sold it would not be included. It was opened with a party…. quote from Canambie Diary
Classes for adults were held most weeknights and on weekends the Salvation Army held services.
By 1932 it was moved to just south east of Buderim house to become the club house for the first golf course.
Sources: The Salvation Army Nambour Corps : 100 years of service on the Sunshine Coast, Kay Gittins, Nambour, Qld : Salvation Army Nambour Corps Centenary Committee, 1994
image: The Buderim Salvationists in 1896. It consisted of seventeen Kanakas and Aborigines – and three whites, all worshipping together.